Today David Silverstein, president of the American Atheist Group went on the Bill O’Reilly show to debate whether god is real and whether religion is valid. O’Reilly gave him a golden hail-mary opportunity to absolutely blow his argument off the map and wipe that smug look off his face, and Silverstein blew it.
Explaining that his religious faith springs from the mysteries of nature that are unexplainable by modern science, O’Reilly said: ““I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion. Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.”
Even more amazing than Bill O’Reilly not knowing that the tides are caused by the moon’s orbit is the fact that the atheist guy didn’t know it either! Silverstein was left to retort, “It doesn’t matter if I can’t explain it—that doesn’t mean that an invisible magic man in the sky is doing it,” his high school science (or was it middle school?) apparently failing him.
The moon, dude. The moon. Nothing so frustrating as seeing Bill O’Reilly so close to getting eviscerated, and without a rational human being in sight to put him in his place.
I guess it wasn’t meant to be this time—like the 1986 Red Sox. Just wait, O’Reilly—we rationalists will get you one of these days.
- Watch: Bill O’Reilly Argues with an Atheist, Says There’s No Explanation But God for the Tides Going In and Out (towleroad.com)
- Bill O’Reilly: Only Religion Can Explain The Ocean Tides (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Bill O’Reilly thinks the tides are proof of God’s existence: ‘You can’t explain that’ (crooksandliars.com)
- “Colbert Discovers Bill O’Reilly’s Theology: ‘There Must Be A God Because I Don’t Know How Things Work’ (VIDEO)” and related posts (huffingtonpost.com)
- O’Reilly: God Causes The Tides, Not The Moon (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)