Romney Blasts Secularism, Endorses Mixing Church and State
How do you know when the Iowa Caucuses are approaching?
“I know there are some people who would like to make this nation a secular nation, who want to take God out of everything that exists in this country. They try to say it’s unconstitutional,” Romney said. “I trust in God, and I know you do, and I believe it’s appropriate for us to recognize in the public square that we do indeed have a creator and that we trust in our creator, particularly at this time of year.”
Romney was responding to a question about celebrating Christmas as a religious holiday, particularly in schools. The question offered Romney a chance to contrast with fellow Republican presidential hopeful Rick Perry, who is running an ad on Iowa TV that accuses President Obama of waging a “war on religion.” American children cannot “openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school,” Perry says in the ad.
“How do you take God out of America when the declaration points out it’s God that gave us those rights in the first place?” Romney said. “I believe that we should be able to have religious ornamentation and celebration in the public square. Whether that’s a manger or a menorah, or representatives of other faiths, it is important for us as a society to recognize that we look to God for many of our blessings.”
There’s a reason Romney cited the Declaration of Independence in his pandering statement, instead of the far more important US Constitution. The Constitution goes out of its way to avoid any hint of endorsing religion, but the Declaration uses the words “endowed by their Creator.”
This is a religious far right talking point, originating among people who actually want to turn the country into a theocracy — and Mitt Romney is now parroting their propaganda.
It’s a measure of how thoroughly this craziness has spread throughout the Republican base.
- Romney Blasts Secularism, Endorses Mixing Church and State (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- The 2012 Speculatron Weekly Roundup For Dec. 16, 2011 (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rick Perry hopes to be the Tim Tebow of Iowa caucuses – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- Des Moines Register Endorses Mitt Romney For 2012 GOP Nomination (huffingtonpost.com)
- Politico’s: The week in one-liners: Perry, Romney, Axe (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- GOP Hopeful: Rivals’ Attacks Have Taken Their Toll (huffingtonpost.com)
- Michele Bachmann, Ron Paul aim at Newt Gingrich in debate as Mitt Romney targets President Obama (boston.com)
- The Second Tier Makes Its Final Pitch (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rick Perry: Mitt Romney Is ‘Part Of Wall Street’ (huffingtonpost.com)