Muslim Medical Students Boycotting Lectures on Evolution
By Austin Cline, About.com Guide December 21, 2011
Steve Jones emeritus professor of human genetics at university college London has questioned why such students would want to study biology at all when it obviously conflicts with their beliefs. He told the Sunday Times: ‘I had one or two slightly frisky discussions years ago with kids who belonged to fundamentalist Christian churches, now it is Islamic overwhelmingly.
‘They don’t come [to lectures] or they complain about it or they send notes or emails saying they shouldn’t have to learn this stuff.
‘What they object to – and I don’t really understand it, I am not religious – they object to the idea that there is a random process out there which is not directed by God.’
Source: Daily Mail
This is not the only example of anti-science and anti-evolution activity among Muslims in Britain:
Earlier this year Usama Hasan, iman of the Masjid al-Tawhid mosque in Leyton, received death threats for suggesting that Darwinism and Islam might be compatible.
Sources within the group Muslims4UK partly blame the growing popularity of creationist beliefs within Islam on Turkish author Harun Yahya who, influenced by the success of Christian creationists in America, has written several books denouncing Darwinist theory.
Yahya associates Dawinism with Nazism and his books are and videos are available at many Islamic bookshops in the UK and regularly feature on Islamic television channels.
It’s noteworthy that the anti-science activity from Muslims in Britain is influenced to a large extent by anti-science evangelical Christians in America. Most of their arguments, ideas, and positions come from evangelical Christians. The more fundamental idea that religious ideology should be preferred over scientific fact, though, isn’t something they needed to import.
Students who refuse to come to class and learn the material should fail that class. Students who are in any sort of medical program should be denied a medical license of any sort. If you can’t accept the reality of evolution, then you are so disconnected from reality that there’s no way you can be an effective physician and I don’t think that you’ll have anything to offer any other scientific field either.
- Students Snub Darwin, Say He Contradicts Islam (ibtimes.com)
- Creationist Muslim Medical Students Say No to Evolution Lectures (ibtimes.com)
- Britain Medical Schools Facing Backlash Over Evolution From Muslim Students (jonathanturley.org)
- Muslim students boycott evolution lectures in London (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Book Notes: Islam’s Quantum Question (forbes.com)
- Darwin censored by the Turkish government’s porn filter (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Muslim medical students boycotting lectures on evolution… because it ‘clashes with the Koran’ (gunnyg.wordpress.com)