Now what would fictional baby Jesus think?!
Palestinian Police Break Up Fight Between Priests At Church of the Nativity
CNN reports that yesterday Palestinian police in the West Bank city of Bethlehem were sent into the Church of the Nativity to break up a fight that broke out between Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests. The Church is under a complicated joint administration of Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox and Armenian religious authorities.
The Church is traditionally cleaned by priests between December 25 and the Orthodox celebration of Christmas that comes in the first week of January. During that clean-up, a fight broke out between two priests who were sweeping the Church. The fight quickly escalated until 50 to 60 priests were striking each other with broomsticks. A similar incident occurred in 2007.
- Priests fight with broomsticks at Church of the Nativity (boingboing.net)
- Greek Orthodox and Armenian clergy scuffle during annual Christmas cleaning (news.nationalpost.com)
- Clergy brawl in Bethlehem over Nativity scene (w/ video) (windsorstar.com)
- Video: Clergy brawl over cleaning of church in Bethlehem (calgaryherald.com)
- Priests brawl in Bethlehem’s Church of the Nativity as clergy fight over Christmas cleaning (dailymail.co.uk)
- Mass Fight of Priests in Bethlehem (Video) (dailypicksandflicks.com)
- Clerics clash in Church of the Nativity – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Religion – Baby Jesus Loves a Broom Fight (thesecularity.com)
- Huge broom fight between priests at church said to be the birthplace of Jesus (offthebench.nbcsports.com)