Tim Minchin’s new Christmas song about Jesus cut from The Jonathan Ross Show
Comedy superstar (and rationalist) Tim Minchin was supposed to be on The Jonathan Ross Show this week. He’d even written a brand new song for it, as he explains on his blog:
“Being Christmas, I thought it would be fun to do a song about Jesus, but being TV, I knew it would have to be gentle. The idea was to compare him to Woody Allen (short, Jewish, philosophical, a bit hesitant), and expand into redefining his other alleged attributes using modern, popular-culture terminology.”
“Subsequently, Suzi [the show’s producer] and her team edited the show and everybody was happy. Suzi felt it had a nice balance of big-ticket celeb action, local talent, and a nice bit of that cheeky, iconoclastic spirit for which Jonathan is known and widely loved.
And then someone got nervous and sent the tape to ITV’s director of television, Peter Fincham.
And Peter Fincham demanded that I be cut from the show.
He did this because he’s scared of the ranty, shit-stirring, right-wing press, and of the small minority of Brits who believe they have a right to go through life protected from anything that challenges them in any way.”
- New Humanist Blog : Tim Minchin’s new Christmas song about Jesus cut from The Jonathan Ross Show (newhumanist.org.uk)
- The Tim Minchin Song That Peter Fincham of ITV Doesn’t Want You to Hear (patheos.com)
- Tim Minchin hits out at ITV after cutting song from Jonathan Ross Show (digitalspy.co.uk)
- Watch Tim Minchin’s Jesus song banned by the Jonathan Ross show (mirror.co.uk)
- Jonathan Ross show forced to scrap Tim Minchin’s appearance after bizarre mocking of Jesus (dailymail.co.uk)
- Tim Minchin’s ‘Woody Allen Jesus’ – the song banned by British TV (dangerousminds.net)
- “Be Jesus!” -Watch Tim Minchin’s “Woody Allen Jesus” Banned Video (thepeoplesmovies.com)
- Woody Allen zombie superman Jesus pulled from Jonathan Ross (upyourego.com)
- WoodyAllenJesus | Tim Minchin (pdalbury.wordpress.com)
- The scandalous video that could not be shown on TV! Here! Now! Uncensored! (freethoughtblogs.com)