US Issues Travel Warning About Haredi Violence
Concerned by violence against women and children by so-called extremist haredim in Jerusalem and Beit Shemesh, the United States Department of State has issued a travel advisory for US citizens traveling to Israel recommending dressing in “modest” attire and not driving through or adjacent to haredi neighborhoods on Shabbat. “Most roads into ultra-orthodox Jewish neighborhoods are blocked off on Friday nights, Saturdays, and Jewish holidays. Assaults on secular visitors, either for being in cars or for being ‘immodestly dressed’ have occurred in these neighborhoods,” the US Consulate in Jerusalem wrote.
US warns tourists against ‘immodest attire’ in Jerusalem Concerns over recent haredi extremism in Israel’s capital prompt US consulate to publish Jerusalem travel recommendations for American tourists Itamar Eichner • Ynet
The US State Department is concerned over recent violence exhibited by extremists in Israel’s haredi community and has published a travel recommendation for tourists: Do not walk around dressed immodestly in haredi neighborhoods for fear that extremists would assault you in the street.
The travel recommendations which were updated by the US State Department two weeks ago with the recent phenomenon of women’s exclusion and haredi violence in mind, calls on American tourists to dress appropriately when visiting religious sites in the Old City and in haredi neighborhoods and to avoid driving through those neighborhoods during the Sabbath.
“Most roads into ultra-orthodox Jewish neighborhoods are blocked off on Friday nights, Saturdays, and Jewish holidays. Assaults on secular visitors, either for being in cars or for being ‘immodestly dressed’ have occurred in these neighborhoods,” the consulate said.
The travel recommendation follows on the heels of statements made by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton who, speaking at the Saban Conference two months ago, expressed her shock that some busses in Jerusalem allocated separate seating areas for women.
“It’s reminiscent of Rosa Parks,” she said, referring to the black American woman who refused to give up her seat to white passengers in the 1950s.
Referring to the decision of some IDF soldiers to leave an event where female soldiers were singing, she said it reminded her of the situation in Iran.
[Hat Tip: Seymour.]
- Jewish Religious Gang’s Terror, Violence and Extortion (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- When women and girls are the enemy (smh.com.au)
- Haredi Orthodox demonstrate in Jerusalem over arrests (jta.org)
- The Rise of Jewish “Taliban” Cult (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- Israel: When women and girls are the enemy – asafeworldforwomen.org (worldwright.wordpress.com)
- Op-Ed: Haredi leaders must speak out against zealots (jta.org)
- ‘We won’t let Beit Shemesh become like Iran’ – Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)
- PM welcomes rabbis’ condemnation of haredi violence – Jerusalem Post (jpost.com)
- Shimon Peres condemns ultra-orthodox extremists as tensions escalate (guardian.co.uk)
- Jewish Child Sex Crimes: Vitriolic Verbal Punch-up Over Haredi Child Sex Abuse (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- Female Is a “Slut” Says Jewish Religious Fanatic (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)