An Egyptian court on Wednesday sentenced a 17-year-old Christian boy to three years in jail for publishing cartoons on his Facebook page that mocked Islam and the Prophet Mohammad, actions that sparked sectarian violence.
Gamal Abdou Massoud was also accused of distributing some of his cartoons to his school friends in a village in the southern city of Assiut, home to a large Christian population and the hometown of the late Coptic Orthodox Pope Shenouda.
“Assiut child’s court ordered the jailing of Gamal Abdou Massoud … for three years after he insulted Islam and published and distributed pictures that insulted Islam and its Prophet,” the court said in a statement seen by Reuters.
Fanatics that burn down houses and enact violence against humans who dare to insult religion, are the ones the government should be putting behind bars!
- Egyptian Court Sentences 17-Year-Old Christian Boy To Three Years In Jail For Cartoons of Mohammad on Facebook (jonathanturley.org)
- Egyptian Christian student jailed for insulting Islam (foxnews.com)
- Egypt’s grief-stricken Christians fear a new wave of persecution (independent.co.uk)
- Egypt sends Christian student to jail for insulting Islam (thegreatone22.wordpress.com)
- Egypt court rejects second Mickey cartoon lawsuit (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Egypt court rejects second Mickey cartoon lawsuit (foxnews.com)