GOP Delegate Bob Marshall Claims That Disabled Children Are God’s Punishment for Abortion
After his remarks set off a national controversy, Marshall tried to claim that he had somehow been misunderstood:
A story by Capital News Service regarding my remarks at a recent press conference opposing taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood conveyed the impression that I believe disabled children are a punishment for prior abortions. No one who knows me or my record would imagine that I believe or intended to communicate such an offensive notion[.] I regret any misimpression my poorly chosen words may have created[.]
But the video speaks for itself. Marshall explicitly stated that he believes God punishes women who have abortions by giving them disabled children. And then he backed up his claim with what he evidently considered to be evidence (and the gentleman to his left nodded in agreement).
Marshall is entitled to his offensive views, but he should not run from them.
It’s worth noting that Marshall has a history of saying offensive things – or being ‘misinterpreted.’
He said this about abortion in the case of rape: “[T]he woman becomes a sin-bearer of the crime, because the right of a child predominates over the embarrassment of the woman.”
And he said this about contraception: “[W]e have no business passing this garbage out and making these co-eds chemical Love Canals for these frat house playboys in Virginia.”
Marshall was not the only one at last week’s press conference to say something completely ridiculous and offensive, or as Marshall calls it – creating a ‘misimpression.’
Rev. Joe Ellison said he agrees with Pat Robertson’s comments that Haitians brought the recent devastating earthquake on themselves by striking a deal with the Devil and practicing voodoo:
From a spiritual standpoint, we think the Dr. Robertson was on target about Haiti, in the past, with voodoo. And we believe in the Bible that the practice of voodoo is a sin, and what caused the nation to suffer. Those who read the Bible and study the history know that what Dr. Robertson said was the truth.
And let’s remember. These guys aren’t just some sideshow attraction in Virginia’s state capital. They hold sway with top Virginia Republicans, including Gov. Bob McDonnell, and are making gains in their war on the reproductive rights of Virginia women
- Romney’s new BFF Pat Robertson recommends wife-beating since divorce isn’t an option (dailykos.com)
- Pat Robertson Tells Man To Move To Saudi Arabia So He Can Beat His Wife (Legally, of Course) [Video] (gawker.com)
- Pat Robertson: Democrats Are The ‘Party Of Gays, Godlessness, And Whatever Else’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Pat Robertson Rails AGAINST Adoption (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)
- Pat Robertson Suggests Viewer Become Muslim, Beat Wife (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- GOP and its hard right turn on women’s issues (themoderatevoice.com)
- Full GOP platform statement on abortion (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- GOP Platform To Call For Ban On Abortion With No Exemptions For Rape, Incest (huffingtonpost.com)
- GOP rejects rape exception in platform (politico.com)
- Evangelist Pat Robertson Is the Racist, Sexist, Ridiculous Face of the Gop – and Not “God” (bonjupatten.com)