Science Committee Member Broun: Evolution, Embryology, Big Bang Are ‘Lies From the Pit of Hell’
From Rep. Paul Broun’s (R-GA) remarks at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet on September 27, 2012, in Hartwell, Georgia:
BROUN: God’s word is true. I’ve come to understand that. All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell. And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior. You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth. I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.
And what I’ve come to learn is that it’s the manufacturer’s handbook, is what I call it. It teaches us how to run our lives individually, how to run our families, how to run our churches. But it teaches us how to run all of public policy and everything in society. And that’s the reason as your congressman I hold the Holy Bible as being the major directions to me of how I vote in Washington, D.C., and I’ll continue to do that.
Rep. Broun, like Missouri caveman Todd Akin, serves on the House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.
I’ll let that sink in for a second.
Paul Broun, Todd Akin — these are the people that the Republican Party puts in charge of science at the highest level of the government. Extreme right wing fundamentalists and young earth creationists who believe science is a tool of Satan.
(h/t: Benjy Sarlin.)
- Quote of the day: Lies from “the pit of Hell” (salon.com)
- Another Fine Scientist on the Hill (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Hero Rep. Paul Broun Takes Bible-Based Stand Against Hell-Spawned Lies of ‘Science’ (wonkette.com)
- Tea Party Rep. Paul Broun: Evolution and Big Bang Are “Lies Straight From the Pit Of Hell.” Why Yes, He Serves On the House Science Committee With Todd Akin (thedailydolt.com)
- Broun: Evolution, big bang theory are “lies straight from the pit of hell” (onlineathens.com)
- Congressman scoffs at evolution, big bang (cosmiclog.nbcnews.com)
- Rep. Paul Broun, High Ranking Member of the House Committee on Science: Evolution, Big Bang Theory ‘Lies Straight from the Pit of Hell’ [Video] (gawker.com)
- House Science Member Says Earth is 9,000 years old (blogs.scientificamerican.com)
- GOP Rep. Paul Broun: Evolution, Embryology, Big Bang Theory Are ‘Lies From the Pit of Hell’ (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Science Committee Member Broun: Evolution, Embryology, Big Bang Are ‘Lies From the Pit of Hell’ (littlegreenfootballs.com)