Firefighters Gunned Down in Western New York
Another senseless, horrific crime, as someone apparently laid a trap for firefighters in order to gun them down: 2 Firefighters Killed in Western New York.
Four firefighters were shot — two fatally — after apparently being lured to an early morning blaze on Monday in Webster, N.Y., a lakefront town about 12 miles northeast of Rochester, officials said.
The suspected assailant also died at the scene, the town’s police chief, Gerald L. Pickering said, though it was unclear if he was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot or by the authorities.
“It does appear that it was a trap that was set,” Chief Pickering said of the blaze that drew the firefighters. “Causative reasons, we don’t have at this time.”
- Firefighter shot at scene of blaze in western N.Y. (enterprisenews.com)
- 4 firefighters shot, 2 dead in western NY (minbcnews.com)
- 4 firefighters shot, 2 dead in western New York (chronicle.northcoastnow.com)
- Firefighters Responding To Blaze Near Rochester, N.Y., Shot And Killed (wnyc.org)
- Police Chief Says It Appears Trap Was Set For Firefighters (Updated) (timesunion.com)
- 2 firefighters die in ambush at blazing NY house (timesunion.com)
- Firefighters Shot Dead While Battling Blaze In Western N.Y. (keyetv.com)
- Longtime Criminal Set A Trap To Murder Firefighters, Say Police (thinkprogress.org)
- Gunman who killed two firefighters as they tried to battle huge New York state blaze is dead, say US police (independent.co.uk)